Are You Eligible?
About the Program
The Solar for Business Program is a new initiative designed to support Victorian small businesses to reduce their energy costs by accessing the benefits of renewable energy.
This initiative will bring down energy bills for small businesses by reducing the upfront cost of the installation of an approved small-scale solar PV system up to 30kW.
To support the economic recovery of Victorian small businesses and the broader solar sector, 15,000 solar PV rebates will be available over the next three years.
Rebates cover up to 50 per cent of the cost of a rooftop solar system with small businesses eligible for a maximum rebate of $3,500 to reduce the upfront cost of installing solar on their business premises.
This means the total rebate amount will be capped at 50% or $3,500 of the cost on any approved system. For example, if the net costs of solar are $10,000, then the rebate value applied is $3,500 (not $5,000) or if the net costs are $4,000, then the rebate value applied is $2,000 (not $3,500).
Net costs are inclusive of GST and any contribution from Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs).
Small business solar rebate eligibility
All entity types, including charities and not-for-profit organizations, are eligible for the Solar for Business rebates providing they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be the owner of a business that employs at least one person, not including the business owner, and less than 20 people
- Operate from premises that are non-residential.
- Operate from premises that are individually metered
- Have not previously received a Solar for Business rebate
- Have your system installed by a Solar Victoria approved solar retailer as detailed on Solar Victoria’s website
- Install a solar system with a PV capacity size up to 30kW, and detailed on the Solar Victoria approved product list.
Businesses who own their premises and those who rent can apply for the Solar for Business rebate. A rental provider/landlord of the business premises cannot apply for the rebate on a business’s behalf.
The rebate is only available for installations that occur following the program opening for applications on 28 May 2021. Systems installed prior will not be eligible for a rebate.
If your home is your main place of business and you meet the eligibility criteria for the residential program, you may be eligible for a Solar Homes rebate.